• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Over 1000mg of caffeine per day - possible cause to sleep problems?

MrRoot

Bluelight Crew
Hi,

I just checked out that I consume over one gram of caffeine in forms of coffee, energy drinks and cola. I also noticed that the habit of using energy drinks daily has started nearly the same timeframe as my sleeping problems have started which is over 9 years ago.

Could the amount of caffeine consumed be related to sleep problems alongside taurine, niacine etc. contained in energy drinks?

I think I should try to quit caffeine and see what happens. Is there withdrawals quitting cold turkey or should I try out to stop using energy drinks and switch to a decaffeinated coffee and cola and then start taking coffeine pills for 800mg daily and taper off with 200mg decrease per week? That way I could control the amount of caffeine consumed daily?

I get mild headaches when not taking caffeine for three or four hours and nothing but caffeine helps them. Is there something more to come except for those head aches?

I get mild headaches when not taking caffeine for three or four hours and nothing but caffeine helps them. Is there something more to come except for those head aches?

Headaches are the first sign of caffeine withdrawal, you'll probably notice that its a lot harder to get up in the morning without your caffeine dosages you're used to, among other things.

I think I should try to quit caffeine and see what happens. Is there withdrawals quitting cold turkey or should I try out to stop using energy drinks and switch to a decaffeinated coffee and cola and then start taking coffeine pills for 800mg daily and taper off with 200mg decrease per week? That way I could control the amount of caffeine consumed daily?

I recommend a taper, although I rarely use caffeine and don't know much about doing a taper. 1000mg a day really is a lot though, and I seriously recommend tapering down...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caffeine#Anxiety_and_sleep_disorders

Anxiety and sleep disorders
Two infrequently diagnosed caffeine-induced disorders that are recognized by the American Psychological Association (APA) are caffeine-induced sleep disorder and caffeine-induced anxiety disorder, which can result from long-term excessive caffeine intake.
In the case of caffeine-induced sleep disorder, an individual regularly ingests high doses of caffeine sufficient to induce a significant disturbance in his or her sleep, sufficiently severe to warrant clinical attention.[112]
In some individuals, large amounts of caffeine can induce anxiety severe enough to necessitate clinical attention. This caffeine-induced anxiety disorder can take many forms, from generalized anxiety to panic attacks, obsessive-compulsive symptoms, or even phobic symptoms.[112] Because this condition can mimic organic mental disorders, such as panic disorder, generalized anxiety disorder, bipolar disorder, akathisia, or even schizophrenia, a number of medical professionals believe caffeine-intoxicated people are routinely misdiagnosed and unnecessarily medicated when the treatment for caffeine-induced psychosis would simply be to stop further caffeine intake.[121] A study in the British Journal of Addiction concluded that caffeinism, although infrequently diagnosed, may afflict as many as one person in ten of the population.[107]

1 gram is well within range for the above to occur. Try to cut back to just 1-2 8 oz cups of coffee a day, and you'll notice your stress levels drop and you will sleep well. I recommend to take some ibuprofen for the headaches in the meantime. They shouldn't last longer than a few days.

Thank you for the info. Must start lowering the amount to see if there are some results. I in fact have also generalized anxiety and panic attacks and am diagnosed as type two bipolar disorder. I wonder if the caffeine is really behind all this as I havent had any other meaningful stimulant abuse or pot usage. I also do smoke but the nicotin in cigarettes is 0.1mg per cigar and I smoke less than 20 per day. And the usage of oxycodone mostly as prescribed has started within two years with a 6month break and I havent abused opiates before.

Seems to me that the excessive use of caffeine might have triggered underlying bipolar disorder or it simply is a false diagnose.

^It is possible, although it is also possible that you were self-medicating with the caffeine [I am not a psychiatrist, a FOAF of mine is extremely bipolar and consumes at least 1000mg of caffeine daily along with amphetamines whenever she can get her hands on them to keep her in the "manic" stage, which I know is dangerous.], no way to know for sure...and your case is obviously different from hers. :)

Although, taking the caffeine out of your daily regimen or at least reducing the dose is the best way to find out.

Best of luck! :)

Could the amount of caffeine consumed be related to sleep problems alongside taurine, niacine etc. contained in energy drinks?

the caffeine is definitley not helping the sleeping problems haha :) not sure about niacine, and taurine is actually associated with the "crash" after drinking energy drinks, its an amino acid that helps lower anxiety. so caffeine is the main reason

yeah thats caffeine withdrawal. i think the only other thing that you should expect to experience from going cold turkey is just lack of energy haha :)

caffeine stimulates the adrenal glands which is gonna prevent you from sleeping so try and avoid any caffeine after like 5pm

I'm the exact same, I was pretty much brought up on fizzy drinks, and if I don't get sugar I do feel wd's. I can drink up to 8 litres of sugar-filled drinks in the space of a few hours.

Of course, I didn't tell the doctor that when I went in complaining about insomnia.

However, I have cut down massively since moving. But I still get head aches and lack of energy if I only have say an average 330ml can a day.

:( Wish I could stop, but unfortunately I can't!! I think cutting down is the best thing I could do.

I did not consume any caffeine today. Woke up at 08:00 and started having headaches at 11:00 and then went back to bed after taking APAP + ibuprofen combo. Woke up at 19:00 and still feel quite tired. I took 20mg OxyContin hour ago and that level it should make me feel more energetic but no effect yet. No benzos today. I think I am really addicted to caffeine as the lack of it makes me sleep 8 hours on a day after a nearly normal night sleep. Intented to have some wine at bar and then go to bed around 02:00 and sleep as long as I feel necessary.

Anyone knows how long the lack of energy and sleepiness will last? Days? Weeks? Months?

I have some methylphenidate for the working days if the waking up and staying awake would be a big problem.

My anxiety has nearly gone away and therefore no benzos needed today.

I don't remember how much caffeine I was drinking in terms of grams, but I know I was drinking twelve to twenty cups of coffee (strength-wise) each night for months. I quit cold turkey and it took about three days for the tiredness to subside and about a week to feel normal.

It takes time, MrRoot. Give yourself at least a week and I'll bet you'll feel a million times better than you do today on day one (? is today day one? :p)

I woke up after 14 hours of sleep today and felt totally exhausted and still feeling like it. Trying to go at sleep at 02:00 and woke up at 10:00 tomorrow and see how I am feeling. No need for benzos today also. Took only 1 20mg oxycodone orally ( I am prescribed 1-3 20mg per day). If the exhausted feeling is still going on tuesday I have to start taking methylphenidate to get to work training through.

^^and how do you feel about that? have you not had any caffeine at ALL?!

if i were you idda just tapered off but dayum dude respect for goin cold turkey:)

I have not had any coffee or energy drink or cola or other forms of caffeine at all. I slept again over 14 hours but now I dont feel as exhausted as yesterday. Seems like my brains has been on so much overdrive that they need to compensate it somehow. But the best thing is that I havent feel anxiety at all after quitting caffeine. Yesterday I took no benzos at all except zolpidem. And today i only took 5mg of valium to prevent withdravals as I am tapering off from it. I am feeling great actually.

I think quitting caffeine has been one of the best decisions I have had.

I have not had any coffee or energy drink or cola or other forms of caffeine at all. I slept again over 14 hours but now I dont feel as exhausted as yesterday. Seems like my brains has been on so much overdrive that they need to compensate it somehow. But the best thing is that I havent feel anxiety at all after quitting caffeine. Yesterday I took no benzos at all except zolpidem. And today i only took 5mg of valium to prevent withdravals as I am tapering off from it. I am feeling great actually.

well thats good:D are you planning on staying off of it from now on?

Yes I am definately stopping it forever. No more exhausted feeling today and woke up at 4am feeling good.

It's amazing the effect a legal drug can have on your mind and body after awhile. Glad to hear you're quitting and that in the process you're feeling halfway decent. :)

How many days has it been now? (I'm too lazy to figure it out. :p)

I stopped drinking coffee a few weeks ago. I was fine until about 2-3 days later and I felt so tirrrred all day. I went back to drinking it, but 1g holy shit that is a lot of coffee!

If you want caffeine, I'd actually get rid of the cola. You'll also drop your sodium intake and sugar intake, so I think if you want to cut down a bit, keep coffee but ditch the soda.

I stopped drinking coffee a few weeks ago. I was fine until about 2-3 days later and I felt so tirrrred all day. I went back to drinking it, but 1g holy shit that is a lot of coffee!

If you want caffeine, I'd actually get rid of the cola. You'll also drop your sodium intake and sugar intake, so I think if you want to cut down a bit, keep coffee but ditch the soda.

yeah thats probably the best advice.

avoiding caffeine altogether is kinda hard though dontcha think?

^ It's really not that hard if you put your mind to it. I avoided it from August until December when I caved and had some during finals. Picked up that nasty habit (it is a nasty habit for me) almost right where I left off. Only had caffeine during finals week though.

Had some caffeinated tea at a friend's shortly after calling it quits for the second time and felt a drastic shift in my perception of events: Long story made shorter was that there was stimuli outside of my control that was not bothersome until after having some of the tea. It's very hard to put into words, but I could feel a personality change, and I didn't like it.

I haven't had caffeine since and I don't plan on picking it up again during finals week in a couple weeks.